You call it by any name; Sagarmatha (In Nepalese it means Forehead of the Sky) Devgiri (in Sanskrit, it means “holy mountain”) or Chomolungma or Qomolangma (in Tibetan it means “Mother of the Universe”) or pinyin (In Chinese it means of the country); it conjures up the image of peace and tranquility. It is the highest pick of the Himalayan range as well as the highest point in the whole world. It is the magnificent Everest.
If you happen to be bitten by the mountain and trekking bug, the only remedy for you is: visit at least for once the Himalayan regions, the home of a series of world’s most famous peaks including the highest, the Mount Everest.
A trekking adventure through the Himalayan trails can be the part of the itinerary of your Nepal travel. Or you can take up a Tibet tour to catch the trail to Mount Everest. If you want to scale up the height of Mount Everest you can approach it from either of the two gateways: the southeast ridge from Nepal or the northeast ridge from China through Tibet.
Here are some facts about the Mount Everest that may interest you as a first- timer in the region.
- The best time for climbing the height of Everest is during April and May before the monsoon sets in the mountains.
- You will need to use oxygen masks and tanks above 26,000 feet.
- You can try without supplementary oxygen, but this requires special mountaineering training.
- This part of Himalayan region is characterized by severe weather, low temperatures, and dangerous slopes. So the trekkers need to be extremely cautious at the time of climbing.
- You can take the help of paid guides at the time of climbing.
- You have to obtain a permit from either Nepalese government or the Chinese government which involves rather a large fee.